We are part of a denomination known as the Church of the Brethren. Our spiritual roots are found in the radical reformation and the Schwarzenau Brethren. Below you can find some general information on our history as Brethren, as well as the history of our local congregation.
In 1708 a group of 5 men and 3 women living in what is now Schwarzenau, Germany, led by Alexander Mack began meeting together to study the Bible. They became convinced that only those who are able to make a personal decision for Christ should be baptized. Originally they became known as Dunkards or "Tunkers" because of the practice of Believers' Baptism. Because of continued religious persecution in Europe, the Brethren moved to Germantown, Pennsylvania. From there, the group spread quickly across Pennsylvania and surrounding states.
The Brethren were originally noted for their plain clothes and simple way of living. They lived in close knit communities of other Brethren. They would meet together every year for their Annual Meeting (now Annual Conference).
In 1897, George Bucher, along with thirty-three individuals, organized a congregation that would over time grow and become the Mechanic Grove Church of the Brethren.
The first meetinghouse was a simple frame building built in 1898.
In 1928, the meetinghouse was remodeled and expanded to enlarge the space and add more Sunday School rooms.
In 1959, a new church was built to accomodate the growth of the church.
In 1976, a chapel, carport and additional office spaces were added to the church building.
In 2000, the church building was remodeled and an addition was built that included a new sanctuary, kitchen, offices, gathering area, carport and family life center.